The records of North Pemberton Parish of Somersetshire England show that a John Stodgell, son of Richard Stodgell, was christened in 1615. He was probably the progenitor of the Sturgill family in America but this is not proven. The first record of the name in America is in the record of an inquest held in Jamestown VA in 1636 when William Stodgel was found dead. The town buried him as he had no known relatives so we know he was not a direct ancestor even though he may have been the first of the family to come to America.
The name next appears when James Hurd brought John Stogdel from St. Stokes Parish of Somerset County, England to Essex County, VA in 1650 under the provisions of the "headright" system. John Stogdel signed a voluntary indenture of seven years service to pay Hurd for his transportationnafter which he was granted 100 acres of land. Tax records show that he owned 100a on the waters of the "potowmack" river in 1659. These records show that this land was on Piscataway creek in present Spottsylvania County and it is believed that John lived out his life there and died about 1690 (Note: Piscataway creek emties into the Rappahannock River not the Potomac.)
It is not known who John married but there are several indications that she may have been a FRANKS. Families of this name did live in the area.
As there were no other men with the same or similiar name in the area at that time, the following two are believed to have been sons of John. There were probably some daughters also but no record of them has been found -p29
d: 17 MAY 1773